Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ard Boyz Finals thoughts!




After being awarded 1st place in both the Preliminaries and the Semifinals I set my eyes on the Future. The 2009 Ard Boyz Finals in Chicago.


I have been told with my strange strategies and ways of thinking about 40k that I have an amazing chance to take home the Gold this year. I would be lying if I did not say that part of me is scared. I have a lot of people expecting me to win. I have a lot of people that are rooting for me, and hoping I can pull off just one more 1st place in the series.


How I plan to win:


Practice, Practice, Practice....


I cant stress enough how important it is to get that Practice in. For each the Preliminaries and the Semifinals I must have Practiced all three missions at least 30-40 times. It helped me be prepared for any army type that may come at me. It helped me find out my strengths, and weaknesses for each mission. If you want to be a serious tournament player then get that Practice in. On that note I would like to thank my good friend Mike for countless nights of Practice getting me ready for this.


Go over the Math...


Just what is the % chance of my Five Fire Dragons killing that Land Raider or battle Wagon? Exactly how many Banshee's does it take to kill a 10 man squad of Marines on the Charge? What is my % chance of failing a save on a Warlock with Fortune up? A lot of little questions like this help us prepare for the tournament. Its always good to know what the outcome SHOULD BE before you pick a fight. I would like to thank a good friend of mine Jon who is also a mathematician for answering a lot of my Math questions.


Play Fast, Think Faster...


When I play 40k I think of whats going to happen two or three turns from now. When you are moving your models im already planning out my next three turns. Each move a person does wont change your plans much if you try to get them to play your game. Make them think what you want them to think. If a person is given the idea that the outcome of the game is going to be in there favor they are more likely to make a mistake. That is exactly what you want. You want them to be sure of there victory right up to the end when you take it away from them. Also if you are thinking two or three turns in advance you have a better chance of getting all your turns. In the Preliminaries and the Semifinals I managed to get all my turns in but I noticed that a lot of people did not make it past turn 4. This can hurt your plans if you are trying to lead your opponent in the direction you want them to go.


Play the mission not the Army...


A lot of people seem to think that this game is about killing models. 2/3 of the missions are Objective based. That means a person can win the game with only one model left on the board. You might have your whole army alive, and still lose. You have to make sure you are in the right place at the right time. You want to be able to contest those objectives at the end. Also remember we never have to control all the Objectives at the end to win the game. Control ONE and Contest the rest. When people try to spread themselves to much that is when they lose games. Some of us let our pride and ego get in the way. So remember Play the Mission not the Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment